Wednesday, December 1, 2010

He's baaaaaack.


Tiger Woods is back on the scene.

Too soon?

Depends on who you ask.

If you ask his client The Chevron World Challenge... aka Tiger Woods (since that stop on the PGA tour was established by Tiger), the answer would be, "No."

If you ask his fans, they might say, "Not soon enough."

If you ask me? I'd say something like, "@!#$% yes, it's too soon!"

He's probably still picking rear-window-glass-shards out of his hair. The night of the golf club wielding incident or "one-car accident" was little over a year ago.

Dude. Chilax. No one has forgotten about you...and that's kind of the problem.

If I were Tiger Woods (Well, I'd get a lot of tail) but I'd also keep my head down and shutup until I ate enough crow to re-emerge. And I would do that very slowly and gracefully.

But, nooooooooooo.

T-dawg decided that not only was it time to turn his spotlight back on, but he did it with one of his favorite forms of communication: electronic media.

Tiger opened a Twitter account and started tweeting this week.

And because I believe his rehabilitation period is not over and he has prematurely re-engaged with the public, I also believe that anything he says or does will be steeped in his addictions and ego. In other words, he's full of it.

Therefore, I have taken the liberty of interpreting an exerpt of his tweets borrowed from a page on BBC Sports. See below:

KEY:

Q: = Tiger's Twitter fans

A: = Tiger

L: = Lynda's interpretation


Q: Hey -- What's the best pre-round meal and "in the bag" snacks/food? Thnx.
A: During round I eat peanut & banana sandwich & almonds

L: I like variety. Asian, American, French chicks... Wait. What was the question? Um, "in the bag" is cool. As long as they take a cab home.

Q: Yo tiger, what are your 2011 goals on the PGA tour?

A: As Al Davis said "Just win baby"

L: As Al Davis said...ooh, do you think he's related to Geena Davis? Hey, Geena. I'm single. Call me.

Q: I'm a retired Special Ops Guy like your dad. I got divorced and it was tough as hell. I have faith in you!

A: Thanks brother

L: What's your ex-wife's phone number?

Q: What's your favourite course and why?
A: St. Andrews

L: Inter

Q: If you could play any other sport, what would it be?
A: Basketball

L: Basketball. (I actually believe this one.)

Q: What part of your game are looking forward to in 2011?
A: EVERYTHING

L: The part where everyone is hypnotized by my talent so I can do whatever I want, no matter who it hurts, and all will be forgotten. I love that part. Call me.


Honestly, I hope none of the above is how Tiger feels. I hope he'll be okay. But this very public splash has Britney Spears and Michael Jackson written all over it. "Hey, Tiger. Get back out there! Manage your public image! Make us some money!"

Can he say, "No. It's too soon. I need to take my insides out and examine them and heal." Can he say. "Listen. I have kids. I need to be okay for them, not you." Sure. But most of his life has been spent pleasing other people. He's their product and they need their product to sell.

I just don't think this is the way to do it. And I hope he figures that out and puts his foot down.

I hope he really does, as he mentioned at his press conference after his skeletons were revealed, reconnect with his Buddhist roots. I think it can save him. It's a beautiful way to live. Modest and introspective. Quiet and kind. Responsible and respectful. What I'm seeing is none of those things.

And what the public is seeing is another celebrity behaving badly and being adored. What am I supposed to say to my boys when we're watching ESPN and they ask me "What did Tiger do?" "What did Brett Favre do?" "What did (insert the next name here) do?"

I guess I could say. "He made a mistake, honey." And leave it at that. But kids persist. They want details. Especially about the athletes they idolize. And when they inevitably learn those details in school or in the locker room and subsequently see their idol mugging for the camera, endorsing a cool product or being accompanied to an award show by a gorgeous girl, it sends a message that troubles me.

Is it Tiger's job to raise my kids? No. Is it Tiger's job to act in a way that I respect? No.

It would just be nice if once, a celebrity whose dirty laundry has been aired in public would not just apologize...because they all do, but take that dirty laundry and publicly wash it, iron it, fold it, and tuck it tidily away.

I know. It's about as likely as a hole-in-one.

Copyright © Lynda Crotty Radio, Inc.









No comments:

Post a Comment