Wednesday, December 8, 2010

Eeew! Eeew! Eeew!


I'm so tweaked over this story about the photography professor who had a camera surgically implanted in his head (giving him a third eye), that I can barely write this post.

But I must.

The camera will broadcast an online stream of the images it captures through a museum in Qatar. I can't imagine it will be any more interesting than someone's home movies. He's just holding the camera with a different body part. But it's a new twist on technology and it's online, so it must be fascinating, right?

My friend Steph and I were just talking about how all this electronic media has sucked people in to the point that they seem almost hypnotized and aren't even aware of what they are doing half the time.

And we're ready to SWACK! a friend's Blackberry out of their hand if they compulsively start a texting conversation with someone else while they are in our company.

I heard on the radio the other day (a radio is an old fashioned device that people enjoyed mostly during World War II) that there was a woman driving on the freeway with a cell phone in one hand, a sandwich in the other and a seven year old in the front seat...unbelted! Maybe she needed the kid up there to steer? I honestly wonder if her unconscious need to hold her cell phone was what set off that cavalcade of bad decisions.

I'm all about multi-tasking but multi-media tasking is just becoming brain-sucky, rude and scary.

Do you check e-mail while you're on the phone? (I've been known to.) Do you text friends who are in the next room...or closer? (Yes you do. I've seen you.) Do you search online for random facts about random people, places and things even though you're supposed to be working, cleaning, making dinner, hanging out with your kids? (I think we'd all say yes to something on that list.)

Well feel better about yourself because this guy takes multi-media tasking to a whole new level.

http://www.kitguru.net/channel/generaltech/jules/guy-with-camera-implanted-in-head-says-its-uncomfortable/

The camera is apparently implanted "transdermally". (BARF, SNOT, BARF). But there are metal posts exposed to reinforce the very visible camera. (HURL, FAINT, GET UP AND FAINT AGAIN) But this guy will only be multi-media tasking for another year because that is how long he has been commissioned by the museum to keep the camera in.

Oh and if you think his version of multi-media tasking is uncouth, he doesn't care. He maintains that if people want to take him off their guest list because of the camera, he doesn't want to be their guest anyway. So there.

Alright, freakshow.

Don't call me...or text me...or e-mail me...

Copyright © Lynda Crotty Radio, Inc.

No comments:

Post a Comment