Thursday, April 9, 2015

I saw Gretzky in the girl's room














It's no secret I detest hockey season. My boys know it, their coaches know it, the guy at the car wash who has to de-funk my Subaru once a week knows it. And God for sure knows it because every time my kids' hockey calendar lists another 9-freakin-PM practice on a school night, I yell, "Jesus Christ!" But he gets me, so we're cool.

Well, THIS hockey season was different. Not in terms of my hate (through the roof) but this hockey season gave me a gift. One that is blessing me in spades. 

INSERT DREAMLIKE HARP MUSIC TO TAKE US BACK IN TIME

I was at the Anoka arena softly crying in the women's restroom because I had to waste another weekend watching my goalie (through my hands) be pummeled by kids who had already reached puberty (he hasn't) making them bigger, their shots stronger, and, consequently, my baby's Adam's apple more vulnerable to shattering. 

As I was exiting the lavvy, I noticed some inspirational quotes on the wall. And they were framed with sections of hockey sticks.(Cute! I have no aesthetic creativity, so junk like that impresses me.) I was reading the quotes when one just jumped out and smacked me in the face. It was by Wayne Gretzky and it read, "You miss 100% of the shots you don't take." 

I just about fainted I loved it so hard. Apparently it's a really popular quote. How the heck, in all my years as a hockey mom, did I miss it? Well, who gives a rip? I took a picture of it so I wouldn't forget it...and that night something really cool happened. 

I was checking e-mails before bed and saw that someone I follow on Twitter, tweeted the SAME QUOTE. And this someone happened to be a business coach. And I happened to be on the hunt for a business coach. Yep. In the last year, in an effort to try and figure out how to incorporate some of my new interests into my career, I have been Tony Robbins-ing, Wayne Dyer-ing, and Marie Forleo-ing my ass off (and because I eat real, whole food, it's the same ass I had in high school, B.T. DUBS) but that's another post, or another facet to my business, which my amazing new business coach is helping me craft.

Her name is Celia Siegel (Hey, girl, hey.) And she is complete and total awesome sauce. 

Not only do we have a ton in common: We started in the ad biz around the same time, married around the same time, had kids around the same time, divorced around the same time, gluten intolerance showed up around the same time...(Man, I hope you're okay with my 14 followers knowing we both had IBS, Celia.) We even drive the same, damn car.

Done and done, right?

So, I was having my weekly meeting with Celia the other day and whining about how the action steps phase of my new venture are freaking me out. "I hate being embarrassed.", "I'm afraid people will laugh at me or think I'm stupid.", "My current professor hates my writing style." "Yes, she has a rep on campus for being a stick-in-the-mud, but if I want to write for the masses, maybe I should tone it down?"

RECORD SCRATCH

That's when Celia dropped some brain bombs on me that set me straight.

1.) "You can't be authentic if you want to be liked." 
2.) "The more you let people NOT like you, the more the people who like you will LOVE you."
3.) "FIND YOUR TRIBE."

I told her to tweet that shit out. Brills, right?

Then she told me, as an exercise, I had to blog every day for a week.

MINOR TANTRUM

"But, Celia, I'm busy. Plus I haven't blogged in over a year. Nobody even goes to my site anymore. I've neglected it and it's totally played out. Can't I wait until I get my new site up?"

CRICKETS

Fine. Here's my first pass.

And no pretending - not that I ever was - but I thought about it for a hot second. I'll be me and do what I do best. As the Clifton Strengths Finder says, "Work with the skills you HAVE, instead of trying to be good at everything." Which means knowing what you're good at and what you're not.

THINGS I'M GOOD AT: Writing, cooking (unless you ask my kids), praying.

THINGS I SUCK AT: Math, being tall, staying up late.

So, I'm gonna do me...and kill it...yep.

QUICK SIGN OF THE CROSS 

Thanks, Celia.

And Wayne.

Dangle, Snipe, and Celly, bitches...

Peace

Copyright © Lynda Crotty Radio, Inc

No comments:

Post a Comment